Wednesday, August 19, 2009

One Last Hurrah

Today, for our last summer hurrah, we went raspberry picking.
On the drive over Adria fell asleep.
We got there and what a cute place it is . . . though we've picked raspberries before, I have never been to this particular place. We walked in under a canopy of grape vines.
Matt and Christian tried some VERY green grapes and then regretted that decision.
After purchasing our baskets to fill, we were told that we could take a leisurely .25 mile walk over to the raspberries or take a hay ride . . . we opted for the ride pulled by this tractor.
And we're off!
Lainey had a blast picking raspberries and had to show someone each one that she picked before it went into her basket.
Though she picked about a pint all together, she never even tried one!
Adria, on the other hand, couldn't get enough of them.
We then tractor'd back and picked some strawberries. Yum!
Since our picking was over, the kids played and explored nature.
Megan and Lainey found a bridge with the tiny-est of creeks flowing beneath.
Lainey discovered a beautiful pond
and Matt and Christian explored the underbellies of rocks!
All the kids climbed a tree
which was great seeing as Lainey's only wish at Snow White's Wishing Well was "to climb a tree"childhood wish . . . check!

Even Adria got in on the fun by putting her feet in the water.
That water was FREEZING!!! It felt like Brain Freeze on my toes!!!

In that freezing water Megan made a discovery . . . an apple with a REAL LIVE worm!

When it was time to go, WHAT A MESS LAINEY was!
That's not blood on her head . . . its raspberry juice!
I took off Lainey's shoes because she was SUCH a mess and her feet were all muddy and wet from the water! I sat them on the bumper of Shandee's car and forgot about them until I watched Shandee drive away. I honked, called her phone, put on my emergency flashers with no luck! Finally, about half-way down, she noticed the flashers and pulled over. Happily, I retrieved both shoes --yeah for rubber soles.

We then went to lunch (thanks Shandee) where Lainey had to eat her applesauce by sucking through a straw because I had no spoon.
She got a kick out of it though so I guess it was a winner idea!

So sad that the summer is over, but it was a fun note to end on!

1 comment:

Danya said...

I LURVE Riley's Farm!!! We try to take a lot of our exchange student's there. It's only 15 minutes from my work. Sometimes we go there for lunch. And if you think the rasberries were great you ought to try their blackberries!!!!!!!