Monday, February 16, 2009

The Dream Jar

Shandee knew that we were having some issues with Lainey going to bed before she came to visit for Christmas. She found this book about these sisters who share a room and the older sister gets invited to go to a sleepover. The younger sister doesn't want the older sister to go because then she'll be scared all alone at night. So, the older sister makes the younger sister a dream jar. Every time the younger sister is scared she reaches in and pulls out a piece of paper that has a "dream idea" written on it.

Shandee changed the story a bit from the older sister to being her (Aunt Shandee) and the sleepover being Canada. Then she had her family write tons of dream ideas down for Lainey and created her very own dream jar. It really was very sweet and in fact, me, non-emotional Tara (unless you really get to know me--then you find I'm an emotional wreck) even cried when Shandee read it to Lainey because it made me so sad to have Shandee at that Canadian sleepover for so long. (As much as I refer to my sister as Sissy and PoopFace, I really do love and miss her.)

Anyway, we pull a dream out almost every night. The first dream we ever pulled out was from Shandee (each dream has a picture of the author on it--either Shandee, Ryan, Matt, or Megan). This dream said, "the princesses are waiting for you at Disneyland." Oh my, to see Lainey's face light up the way it did was priceless. She was so excited!

I didn't know what to do with the dream papers. Lainey would usually hold them for the night and I'd find all kinds of papers gobbed up in her bed at the end of the week. But then she would get ticked 'cause the papers won't stay straight. They are each rolled up and tied with little blue bows. She wanted the papers to stay unrolled, but they wouldn't. So, I got another idea and now they are taped to her bed. If you look at her bed, she has 8 or 9 taped up right now. She likes to look at the pictures and tell me what the dream paper says. Every night we tape another one up.

Ryan's dream ideas are really special. Mostly they don't make a lot of sense and I have to make some explanation up for Lainey. But, this one was a real hit . . .


Lainey just laughs and laughs at that one! What's really funny is that Ryan used to say that to Matt when he was little and it ticked Matt off like nothing else. Lainey on the other hand thinks "What do you think this is? Journey to Ernie" is something to celebrate.

4 comments:

♥Mommy Of 2♥ said...

What a neat thing! Lainey sounds like just a little angel girl ! Gosh, we miss you guys! wish we were closer. Love the prayer post too. And yes I am leaving this comment at 11:20 pm Who needs sleep anyway:))))

SG said...

ACK! I miss you guys so much! I just wanna sweep that little Loo-Lee up off her feet and give her tons of kisses. Dang. This Canadian sleepover IS long. But I LOVE that she loves the Dream Jar and that you tape up the notes, very cute!

Danya said...

What an absolutely adorable idea!!! That's so neat. However, I did not know that you had tear ducts Tara... LOL JK you know I love you!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan Goulding said...

Hooray for Journey to Ernie! That made my day to see little "what's her name" say that to me.

Hey, don't you have another baby now too? Why don't you ever write about him or her?

Lastly,

I just want to say again that socks and sandals are ok with me as long as they are clean. Think about it. Would you rather see clean socks and sandals or gross feet and sandals? I'd much rather see the former.

Lastly,

I don't know if Journey to Ernie is still a segment of Sesame Street, but it was a popular one when my children were wee. That is why it started--I just thought it would be fun in the form of a closed-ended question. When Matt started getting annoyed with it, it suddenly became even more fun. Because I am a jerk.