Monday, November 17, 2008
No Rest for the Weary
Well, things were going well--I was asleep. Most of the time when I'm asleep that means things are going well! But at about 4:30 am, like many of you, I was awakened by an earthquake. It was a pretty small one (4.1). I probably wouldn't have even stirred much if it weren't for Lainey's terrified screaming from her room. She was beside herself! Shaking and crying. I tried to tell her it was just the ground's way of dancing but she didn't seem to go for that (and honestly, neither did I--I really hate earthquakes . . . especially in the dark). She finally fell back to sleep an hour later (in our bed, of course) but I didn't. I laid there fretting about the fact that we need a plan and thinking of ways I could fit her's and Adria's bed in our room. How can I protect them if they are so far away from us? I fretted about the fact that it was a TINY earthquake and they say the "big one" is coming. I fretted about being at school when another one hits and Lainey being so afraid. I fretted about Lainey's bunk bed coming down right on top of her. And I fretted about the barfies . . . I know what does that have to do with earthquakes? Nothing, but when the fretting starts, it doesn't stop. So now maybe I could go back to sleep, all (well not all--I am full of frets) my fretting is out . . . BUT Adria has decided its daytime now. So, no rest for the weary, huh?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Okay, seriously, WHY'VE I BEEN BANISHED UP HERE! I could so be there to help you. Lainey AND Adria could have crawled in my bed and you could have slept. AND I could have called you at 4:30am and made you laugh about the whole thing so you wouldn't have to blog about it at all. Which by the way, GREAT COUNTER! I love it! Maybe I'll add one to our blog. Anyways, you'll all be fine. I always keep our bedroom doors open because if there's a quake I don't want anyone stuck inside so that might be a small solution for you. Also, you have our 72 hour kits right? USE THEM! They are loaded and the clothing in there will fit your girls perfectly because we did them in 2000. Matt was 2 and Megan was just born. I don't think I ever updated the clothing so you're set! And there's tons of food and water in them. If Butch is still traveling a lot you might want to put Ryan's in his trunk. Ryan always kept his there in case he was away from us then he could still survive on his own. Sooooo, all things to consider. Also, I put a preparedness blog on my blog roll that Jen Bradshaw had listed on her's. Very wise and prudent info. PLUS, mom's only 4 miles away, not too far so you're covered. AND, you could put some small kits together for the girls and give them to Lorinda if it made you feel more at ease. The schools have kits for each kid now you know? See? All's well. Hang in there and get some rest. I'll be there to cheer you on and help you out soon . . . just check your counter. Love you!
Yep I felt it too!!!!!!
Ummm...34 posts in Oct. And 17 already for Nov??? You're a blogging maniac. There's no way I will ever be able to keep up with you. I'm lucky if I get in 2 a month. You're making me feel like a bad mom! Or could it be that I grade papers and you don't...and that's why I don't ever have time for things like blogging? ;)
Good teacher, bad mom; Good mom, bad teacher. What's the difference these days? I can't talk now though . . . I have to fix moodle. Love my job!
Earthquakes are nothing to be scared of as long as you use some common sense. Just teach Lainey what Alison taught you - If you wake up to an earthquake just stay in bed and wait for the shaking to stop, then go back to sleep.
Post a Comment