Things have been relatively calm in our house considering we have an almost 3 year old and a new baby. However, I got a good dose of motherhood the other day.
Lainey wanted her nails painted as well as some lunch. Adria had a dirty diaper and needed to eat too. "I can do it this," I thought. I gave Lainey the organized box of nail polish and told her to take it downstairs where we would paint her nails. While she was carrying the polish downstairs and picking a color, I would do a quick diaper change upstairs. Then, as Lainey's Mac-n-Cheese cooked, I would paint Lainey's nails and as her nails dried I would feed the baby and then Lainey's lunch would be ready and that was the plan . . . here's how it went.
It started off as planned--I changed a diaper as Lainey headed downstairs . . . and that's where the plan went awry. The diaper change lasted longer than anticipated (I shouldn't have been surprised--this baby poops every chance she gets!) As I start to head downstairs, I hear a sudden burst of hysterical crying from Lainey downstairs. She is saying, "I did such a bad job!" and my heart starts to race. I come running downstairs where I find Lainey with an open bottle of purple polish and her hands covered in polish from trying to paint her own nails. (Luckily even though she was on the carpet, not one drop had gotten anywhere but on her hands . . . and kind of nails.) No problem, I can fix this so I put Adria down and go back upstairs to get the nail polish remover and what does Adria do? Poops again. So, I come back down, do another not-so-quick diaper change, wipe all the polish off of Lainey, wash her hands at which point Adria goes again! That's 3 diapers in 10 minutes! How exhausting. Needless to say, the mac-n-cheese finally got made, though Lainey didn't eat it all--she wanted crackers instead. And Adria finally stopped pooping . . . at least for that hour. And I think I got to take a nap somewhere in there. BUT, Lainey didn't get her nails painted that day after all--we forgot in the end! Ahhhh motherhood!
1 comment:
Holy Hanna Montanna, that's awesome! I laughed a lot. Go Lainey go. I like that she cried because she did a horrible job. Sheeesh, I miss that little girl!
Post a Comment