Thursday, August 14, 2008

"It will get much worse before it gets better"



Call me a vain person, but if I were to judge a person and whether or not I wanted to be their friend solely based on feet, then I would have to kick myself to the curb. I really would be afraid to see what was on the other end of those feet (or sausages as Butch calls them).

I lost my ankles at the end of June/beginning of July. I was excited to have the baby to get them back. It was even hard to bend my toes around for being so swollen. And, I couldn't wear any shoes except for flipflops. In fact, when I tried on other shoes with Lainey present she would say "Oh, those don't fit you mommy! Those are too small!"

When my water broke, I instantly looked to the toes hoping most of the water was coming from them and I swear they were a little smaller. After the c-section, they were really looking good. upon commenting on how much they had deswelled the nurse said that they would get worse before they got better . . . was she ever right. I almost couldn't ever wear the flips!

I was told by a "specialist" that all I needed to do was drink a few shots of apple cider vinegar. I tried that . . . once. Not only did that not work, but Adria also got to suffer the consequences of that poor decision!

Happily, I can say that I can actually see veins on my feet now, I have one full ankle on each foot (the other ankle seems to still be hiding) and my toes don't look so much like little vienna sausages anymore! Maybe I'll go try some of my shoes on again.

2 comments:

SG said...

I think your feet are HOT!

Jen said...

OH man...I remember the swelling part all too well...hope it goes down for you soon...It's nice to be able to actually wear shoes. At least you are in summer still. I was wearing my birkenstocks in Feb in the snow because nothing would fit! ;)