Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Mabel the Christmas Elf

We have been visited twice now by Mabel the Christmas Elf. Lainey affectionately refers to her as "Mabely" and she is included in all of Lainey's prayers. Here's what happened . . .

We woke up yesterday to this fun surprise on our kitchen table.


Mabely left us this Christmas Tree.
Inside each door is a rolled up paper tied with a ribbon that lists a fun Christmas Activity for the day.

She left us a letter introducing herself and telling about the gift.
Here's what the letter says:

"Dear Adelaine and Adria, I am a Christmas elf named Mabel

I have gotten you a gift and put it right here on your table.

On each box there is a number and if you look and see

There are some little doors as small as small can be.

Each day you will open a door*start with number one

And find something inside that will be so much fun.

You can only open one door each and every day

And never, I said never, with this gift shall you play.

Remember Santa*s keeping a list of who*s good and who is bad

So be sure to follow the rules and listen to your mom and dad.

I hope you like my present and the things that I have planned.

I hope it makes your Christmas merry and oh, so very grand."


Lastly she left an envelope.


We opened the first door and the rolled paper inside told us that we got to make a Christmas chain. After school we opened the envelope and lo and behold, Mabely had left us with 25 paper strips to use for our chain.


Today we got to open door number two. The little paper inside told us that we get to go to a movie tonight at Lainey's school. AND Mabely left us another envelope (that we can't open until after dinner). I suspect that inside that envelope is a treat for the movie tonight. I also suspect that we will be getting an envelope each day with something in it for the activity of the day. . . but I'm no elf so I'm not quite sure.

Thanks Mabely the Christmas Elf!

6 comments:

Krissa said...

I love it! Look at you MOTY (Mom of the Year). Where did you get the tree?

Tara said...

you got it all wrong . . . I am MOTY (Mabel of the year)!

Got it from Target . . . What no Walmart? I know! I am really branching out! (PS its on sale this week . . . other choices too)

Robyn said...

That is the cutest thing EVER! I
m probably going to steal the idea and use it with my kids, just FYI...

Tara said...

Why thank you! But I can't take all the credit. The idea to use an advent calendar as a calendar of activities (instead of just putting chocolate in each door or something else like that) came from http://theidearoom.blogspot.com I just put my own little magical Mabel twist on it . . . 'cause everything is more magical when elves are involved, right?

Sled Family said...

way cute idea!!

Ryan Goulding said...

Do you tell them who Mabel really is when you tell her there is no Santa Claus?

Perhaps I could break it to them like I spoil reality tv happenings...."I just want to say ONE thing..."

You're very creative, Tara.