Tuesday, December 08, 2009

I'm sorry we fighted

A pre-story . . .
About a month ago I went to pick Lainey up from school and while there a little girl said, "Who farted?!" Lainey raised her hand and proudly stated, "It was me!" You go girl . . . know it and show it, I guess. When I later asked her to recount the incident to her daddy she said that a little girl said, "Who fowted?" (and indeed that is what she said--this particular little girl can't yet say her r's properly. So it came out "Who fow [rhymes with cow] ted?"

A grammar teaching moment . . .
We have been trying to teach Lainey that to "past tense" a word (yes, I used "past tense" as a verb) you don't always just add an "ed." Case in point . . . its came, not comed, its ran, not runned, its brought, not bringed and so on and so forth.

The real story . . .
So yesterday Lainey and I had a hard morning. We were not communicating well and I was impatient. Whilst driving her to school I was feeling really remorseful and sad about the whole morning so here is our conversation
Me: Lainey, I'm sorry that we fought today.
Lainey: [giggles] Mom, no one farted!
Me: No, I'm sorry we FOUGHT!
Lainey: [still giggling] No one farted!
Me: No, fought, not fart, I'm sorry we fought! Like rhymes with thought.
Lainey: [getting a bit frustrated] NO ONE FARTED!!!
Me: [oh well] Lainey, I'm sorry we fighted.
Lainey: Me too mommy.

So much for a heartfelt grammar lesson.

4 comments:

♥Mommy Of 2♥ said...

http://www.eddieross.com/eddie_ross/crafts/page/3/ here is the link. I couldn't find your email? Send it to me k. Oh and lets totally do something my long lost friend!!!

Danya said...

ROFL this one had me busting a gut! LOL!!!!!!!!!

krista said...

Sometimes you just have to go with what works :) Cute story.

(Hi Tara) :) I found your blog through Krissa's....who I found on Facebook because we randomly had 4 of the same "friends"...people I went to college with. Anyway, I was excited to find your blog. I have one but it's private because...well...let's just say with my current job I have a few families that I don't want lurking.

Marci said...

You are HILARIOUS!! Honestly, you should write a humorous book or something. I LOVE your stories.