Sunday, April 01, 2007

Maybe it's just cause i'm getting old...

So i know times like this are few and far between (VERY far in fact... to the point of what some might classify as never)... in any case... Not only have I been able to stay awake during this entire conference, I've actually been listening. Weird, i know.



That all being said, I thought I'd share a couple of thoughts. Nothing profound, so take it for what it's worth.



Thought #1: I don't remember who it was, but there was a Saturday session talk about the difference between Sacrament meeting musical numbers and musical performances. I thought it was very fitting. A musical number focuses on bringing the spirit of The Lord into the meeting. A performance puts the focus on those performing. I wouldn't even comment on this if i didn't feel like there was a "performance" by the men's choir during the priesthood session. The closing hymn at the end of priesthood was (in my opinion) quite awsome. At least i was entertained. If we were to have a performance like that in our own Sacrament meetings wouldn't it be considered a performance? I'm not complaining. The performance kept me listening. ;) I'm all for them.



Thought #2: Do anyone notice how many different times the speakers made a reference to Abe Lincoln? Odd.



Thought #3: There's nothing better than watching conference with family. The local cable stations here announced a few months back that they would no longer be carrying general conference. Which means that here in the great Hemet, if you want to watch conference you either have to go to the stake center or have satellite. So all throughout the ward, people are "grouping up" to go to eachothers houses to watch. Since we're the only ones in the family with dish, we had Tara's parents, Shandee, Ryan, Matt & Megan here with us today. (Oh, and Lainey too... but she's been sleeping the whole time so far :P) Initially I wasn't too jazzed about the idea because now I'd have to act like I was listening to keep up appearances. In the end however, it wasn't so bad. I had someone else to put up with my stupid comments, which is mostly a benefit to Tara (thanks Ryan).



Thought #4: How many times have we heard President Hinckley make comments to make it sound like this is his last conference? It seems like he's been making the "I feel like the last leaf on the tree in the blowing wind" comment for a couple years now. He's been doing this now since I graduated from High School ('95). I would challenge anyone who watches or listens to conference to tell me there's not something different about this man when he speaks. Even when comparing his words to the other members the 12 or first presidency. The content is the same. There's nothing he says that hundreds haven't said before... but when you hear his voice there is no denying it's truthfulness. That "last shaky leaf on the tree" holds a power like no other.



Thought #5: Y-Mount Family housing. PLEASE tell me that you all were able to see the first commercial following the Sunday morning session. not 15 seconds after fading out of conference KBYU breaks into a commercial with a young married couple talking about how Y-Mount housing relieved the stresses that come with being married, because "the creamery is just right there". It was easily one of the MOST entertaining commercials i've heard in years. Thank you TiVo, for allowing me to watch that over and over and over and.... yeah, i'm still watching it. It's so good, i recorded it and i'll soon be posting a link to it. It's only my camera pointed at the TV, but I was too excited to spend the time to download it from TiVo... So stay tuned.



That's all i got for now.





Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: